Friday 14 September 2012

ENUGU...the coal city.


Its noon here in the coal city, the luxurious eastern part of Nigeria and am enjoying every bit of it as the days move on. Though every moment is poised between lethargy and enthusiasm, I still want to linger on as if life was perfect. It is rather difficult sometimes to be capricious but I needed it this time. The environment is so different from where I come from; a state full of hustle and bustle. Even the wind lost its mild nature as man and machines roar here and there. Hardly had the dawn herald than the populace find their way to the street in search of their means of survival. But here in Enugu, everywhere seems so capacious that serenity pays you a visit. The song of the birds is what brings you back to life in the morn and economic activities begin three hours before noon.
After leaving the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp in Awgu, I decided to visit some friends and acquaintances in the capital of the state and there I found distinctive characteristics. The city was enclosed with mountains and hills and I cannot but open my mouth in amazement as I enjoy the wonderful view. The epileptic weather condition delivers calmness and harshness in the city. When it is raining, it is a heavy downpour. When it is sunny, its scorch and the wind are always cool like the ambient temperature in an efficacious refrigerator. I become a callow youth and was ready to experience new things. The dialect is hard at first but I was willing to learn so as to flow with the community.
In the morning, the first communication that spreads out is “Otutuoma!” meaning “Good morning”. When I was first greeted in this manner, my instinct suggested that it was a compliment and then I was taught to say “Daalu!” which means “Thank you”. One of those things that appeal to my appetite is their dishes. The day I devoured “Okpa”, I experimented it with hope of enjoyment and I never regretted taking it. Then it was “Abatcha”, a leafy nutritious meal that is loved by all. Nna ehn, the people of this city loathe seasoning their rice with salt which is contrary to the way we do in the western part of the country. It is believed generally that health wise, it is not good to have too much salt in the food, especially for hypertensive people. What even draws my love more to this place is their ethnical and religious tolerance.
Being a state popularly dense with Christians, you’ll probably think they will be hostile to other religious beliefs, due to the security threat going on in the country by some religious fanatics’ sect. But to my astonishment, I found a remote community at the extreme of the state where there are indigenous Muslims living peacefully with other theological group and they are practising their worship with ease. What national development can be better than that?
A community replete with no dissonance and obdurate youth will sooner or later engender an abode of peace and tranquillity and hence development. Enugu…the coal city! I love this state. “Aye no na coal city”.

No comments:

Post a Comment